How exactly to practice?

Discuss different ragas here.

Postby bibhas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm

You are correct about the gat being out of beat as depicted.
I don't know this gat personally and wouldn't play it myself as I don't think it does justice to Bhairav as a raag but I tried it just to answer your question. The flow of the mukhda sounds nice if you play the two "dha"s in one beat together so it would look like
Code: Select all
o                 
S dd  P  d  | m   P  G   m
+                 
d  -  d  P  | G   m   r  S

Note that I've changed the last phrase to GmrS to make it sound more like bhairav.
bibhas

About Bhairav

Postby Arjun » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am

bibhas wrote:Arjun,
Could you give us more details like who composed this gat etc? The reason I ask is that this is a very unusual gat which does not portray the main features of Bhairav. One of the most important phrases of Bhairav is the vakra descending phrase "GMrS" - bhairav never goes "MGrS" except in sapaat taans like "SNdPMGrS". There are two opportunities in this gat - once in Sthaayi and once in antara - to portray the "GMrS" phrase and yet it goes "MGrS".

Bibhas

Dear Bibhas,

This composition was given to me by my teacher, i will check with him about the errors you have pointed out in the composition. But i am sure he would say " in that case start 'm' by touching 'g'.

But many Thanx for pointing this out.

Arjun
Arjun

about Bhairav

Postby Arjun » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:35 am

milind wrote:Bibhas, Yes, I noticed that too. The above chalan does not convey the Bhairav bhaav.

Also, it must be always kept in kind that the GMrS involves a meend from the M to r, with the komal rishabh made andolit (oscillatory). That is the hallmark of Bhairav. The above chalan (or any other form of notation) fails to convey these critical features without which Bhairav does not become Bhairav.

I would very strongly urge all to listen to Pt KG Ginde's CD titled Bhairav ke prakaar, where he demonstrates swar by swar how the nature of Bhairav evolves. If there is any interest I can point you to where you can buy the CD from, as you will struggle to find it in music stores.

Dear milind,

Many thanx for pointing this out. Bhairav is one of my favourites, yes do let me know how/where to find the CD by Pt K.G. Ginde..... Bhairav ka prakaar.

warmly,

Arjun
Arjun

Postby Arjun » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:41 am

Mandu wrote:Hello Arjun and every1 else:

I was just looking again at the composition Arjun put on this page:

S d d P d M P G M
+d - d P M G r S

If this is in teental and phrase +d - d P M G r S starts in SAM, isn't phrase S d d P d M P G M one beat too long to start in KHALI (S would be beat 7 and only d would be beat 8)?

Thank you for any feedback

Mandu

Dear Mandu,

it should be read as

s dd p d m p g m,

do the 'dd' is in one beat.

Even though the composition is beautiful, do keep in mind the observations made by Bibhas & Milindji.

regards,

Arjun
Arjun

Re: About Bhairav

Postby bibhas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Arjun wrote: But i am sure he would say " in that case start 'm' by touching 'g'.

Arjun,
Even if you employed a kan of G on m, the phrase would look like Gm G r S - still not Bhairav. The direct descent from Ma to Re with a long meend and andolan on Re is the characteristic feature of Bhairav. Please do check with your teacher, I am curious to hear his comment.

Bibhas
bibhas

Bhairav is a Raaga, not just a composition

Postby talasiga » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:41 am

While Arjun is checking with his teacher where his Bhairav composition is from I want to make some general comment. (I think it may be a composition in Kalingda Raaga, an important Bhairav thaat raaga)

Firstly, a raaga is not limited to a particular composition or a particular interpretation of its characteristics as identified by a particular gharana.

Theoretically one can have an infinite scope of interpretation of a raaga and this is particularly so in Dhrupad where chalans and forms are not critical in identifying a raaga but where the microtonal value of the shruti is. (For instance, in my direct tuitional experience, the komal ga of Jaunpuri is distinguished from the komal ga of Darbari Kanhada ).

One of the problems I have encountered is from those who have had an intense training from ONE lineage but have not had the advantage of appreciating or understanding that there are other valid forms of interpretation even in the same branch of music. I am talking of the ones that get dogmatic.

I am not saying this is the case here but I would like to warn about it.

Interestingly, Pt Ravi Shankar in giving specific exercises for specific raagas (My Music My Life- back section) starts Bhairav like this:
0- m G r, / G r S N, /X r S N d /- S N r/0-
(I have transcribed into Ruckert system of notation for Sargam -see my signature)
talasiga

Postby bibhas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I agree that a raaga is not limited to a particular composition or a particular interpretation of its characteristics as identified by a particular gharana. I also agree that in Dhrupad (& in ICM in general) the microtonal value of the shruti is extermely important but I do not agree at all that chalans and forms are not critical. Chalan is important not just in khyal but also in Dhrupad. Since we're talking about Bhairav, take for example the legendary 18 min recording of Bhairav by Ustad Nasir Aminuddin Dagar - he repeatedly sings the phrase "GmrS" in his alap emphasizing it. I couldn't hear a "mGrS" in it.

Talking of Bhairav, it is not that "mGrS" is prohibited in the raaga, in fact it is used, especially in sapaat taans and once the raag is well established in the performance. However, it's proportion is always very minor. "GmrS", OTOH is the dominant phrase and gives Bhairav its distinct color. It is troublesome to have "mGrS" in the sthayi and antara of a bandish and not at all have "GmrS".

My guruji says - in order to break a rule in a raag, one has to be very creative and first know the rules well before attempting to do so. And as a student, one first needs to learn how to present a raag in the proper way before attempting to bend the rules and adding one's own creativity. A good musician is like a good lawyer who learns the law thoroughly and then finds loopholes in the laws to exploit them to his advantage.
bibhas

Postby talasiga » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:08 am

bibhas wrote:I agree that a raaga is not limited to a particular composition or a particular interpretation of its characteristics as identified by a particular gharana. I also agree that in Dhrupad (& in ICM in general) the microtonal value of the shruti is extermely important but I do not agree at all that chalans and forms are not critical. Chalan is important not just in khyal but also in Dhrupad. Since we're talking about Bhairav, take for example the legendary 18 min recording of Bhairav by Ustad Nasir Aminuddin Dagar - he repeatedly sings the phrase "GmrS" in his alap emphasizing it. I couldn't hear a "mGrS" in it.

There you go making one interpretation gospel.

So is Ravi Shankar's exercise for Bhairav wrong (see above)?
I don't thinks so. Is your exemplary singer wrong? I don't thinks so.
He is entitled to sing however he wants in his Dhrupad alaap providing he sticks to the Bhairav microtones.

One can make a rule about how certain singers or certain groups (gharanas) interpret something but not about limiting the interpretation of a raga universally. And your argument about demonstrating a formal rule from phenomenon heard in an alaap section (such sections, being by definition, free form) is self defeating.
talasiga

Postby bibhas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Nope, I am not making anything into a gospel. Neither am I saying that Ravi Shankar's exercise is wrong (note that I said mGrS movement is not prohibited in Bhairav but its proportion is smaller). I am merely making a suggestion for how a student should approach learning a raag. An established musician can take his liberties guided by his musical sense and musicianship. What matters most is whether a musician is able to portray the mood and personality of bhairav - rules are secondary to that.
bibhas

Re: How exactly to practice?

Postby v_2ancha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello Milind where can i find this CD... Pt KG Ginde's CD titled Bhairav ke prakaar

Regards,
Ankur
v_2ancha

ssh tunnel through firewall , windows server 2008 antivirus

Postby mumutrarvetly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:53 am

soulseek spyware , get around firewall , firewall to download , microsoft windows xp gold , windows firewall with advanced security vista
cheap Cheetah 3d 5 mac download now cheap Acdsee pro 3 download now cheap Autodesk combustion 4 download
for scanspyware , download antivirus autorun , new microsoft windows os , pix501 firewall , microsoft windows photo gallery update , sales buy ms antispyware 2009 pay mjawmday ma mdexqzq1oda , alpha shield hardware firewall , firewall antivirous , lime download software , microsoft windows vista home premium edition upgrade
cheapest low cost Parallels desktop 7 mac download oem cheapest Abest avi video converter download cheap low cost Autodesk autocad 2012 mac 64 bit download oem
spyware dectection tool , antivirus for windows mobile 6 professional , spyware remov , broadband firewall , bypas firewall
cheap Autodesk revit architecture 2012 oem download buy low cost Adobe creative suite 6 master collection student and teacher edition download now discount Innovative solutions advanced uninstaller pro 9 5 oem download
mumutrarvetly

music movie download software , best internet and antivirus

Postby mumutrarvetly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 am

pc tools firewall gui , firewall appliance , firewall in vista , antivirus firewall to , doctor antivirus
low cost Microsoft office 2011 home student family pack mac download oem buy Adobe creative suite 5 production premium download now buy low cost Adobe photoshop cs5 extended download now
windows firewall security , uninstall kerio firewall , microsoft windows xp black edition , easy video download software , ca personal firewall review , vpn security firewall , sygate personal firewall pro 5.5 , firewall and ip , comodo firewall vista , spyware removal program reviews
cheapest low cost Capture one pro 6 mac download discount Sorenson media squeeze 7 mac oem download low cost Adobe indesign cs5 oem download
top 10 firewall programs , os x 10.5.6 firewall , symantics antivirus updates , spyware protect 09 , virtualcenter 2.5 firewall
buy discount Vemedio snowtape 2 mac oem download cheapest Ashampoo clipfisher 32 bit download oem buy low cost Corel paintshop photo pro x3 download
mumutrarvetly

antivirus corporate edition 7.6 , hidownload spyware , pdf

Postby Ripsbrupsspag » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:30 am

netscreen firewall logs , best antivirus antispyware program , antivirus for 3250 , uninstalling antivirus pro 2009 , faster download softwares
buy low cost Autodesk autocad revit mep suite 2009 download cheap Adobe indesign cs4 mac download oem cheap low cost Cyberlink dvd suite 5 pro oem download
antivirus for military , microsoft windows student , endien firewall , best antivirus and spyware software , computer associates antivirus trial , best spyware removing tool , software firewall for server 2003 , military antivirus download , microsoft windows sdk , windows firewall downloads
buy low cost Belight software art text 2 mac download now buy low cost Cyberlink powerdirector 9 ultra64 download oem cheap Autodesk maya 2013 64 bit oem download
microsoft windows ex , microsoft windows omt rdc net ubox http , antivirus advanced firewall at , antivirusforcomputer , steam behind firewall
cheapest low cost Microsoft expression web 2 oem download low cost 4videosoft video converter platinum 3 download discount Rosettastone spanish spain level 1 2 3 4 5 set mac download now
Ripsbrupsspag

rising antivirus forum , bsd hardware firewall , microsoft

Postby Dellblocola » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 am

adware spyware reviews , firewall application layer , barracuda spam firewall 300 snmp , how do i remove antivirus 360 from my computer , antivirus uninst isu
discount Runtime revolution enterprise 2 9 oem download cheap low cost Cyberlink powerdirector 9 ultra64 download oem buy Autodesk stitcher unlimited 2009 mac download
ca antivirus 1 , windows warning message spyware detected on your computer , software firewall for server 2003 , secure client firewall , best antivirus and firewall protection , get around corporate firewall , speed touch firewall , antivirus for vista ultimate 64 bit , uninstall comodo antivirus , dangerous spyware popup
cheap low cost Microsoft office project professional 2003 sp3 download now discount Autodesk ecotect analysis 2011 download low cost Autodesk 3ds max entertainment creation suite premium 2012 64 bit download now
garage firewall , super antispyware reviews , which antivirus is better , tomato firewall scripts , per antivirus removal
discount Kigo dvd ripper 3 mac oem download buy discount Microsoft office access 2010 64 bit download discount Microsoft office onenote 2010 32 bit oem download
Dellblocola

Previous

Return to Ragas